Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Monday, January 15, 2007


January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968


I did not originally hear Dr. King give his speech, but to hear it even today is as powerful as if I had originally heard it. I would love to see the world he describes. It is true we have come a long way from this time period, but sadly we HAVE NOT overcome all racism, and its as sad now as it was then.


I was only 3 years old when Dr. King was assassinated in Memphis Tennessee. Throughout my life, I have grown to admire Dr. King for what he stood for. He was a leader to not only his people, but to ALL oppressed people.


Dr King had a dream.... a dream that one day ALL men and women would be equal. That they would not be judged by the color of their skin but by content of their character. He brought together nations and helped us to see things from someone else's eyes. He took a stand against powerful people when no one else would. He kept trying once he was doubted and threatened. Martin Luther King Jr. got people around the world to look past "black" labeling and accept and love him.


From Wikipedia:

Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929April 4, 1968) was a famous leader of the American civil rights movement, a political activist, and a Baptist minister. In 1964, King became the youngest man to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (for his work as a peacemaker, promoting nonviolence and equal treatment for different races). On April 4, 1968, Dr. King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee. In 1977, he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Jimmy Carter. In 1986, Martin Luther King Day was established as a United States holiday, only the fourth Federal holiday to honor an individual (the other three being in honor of Jesus of Nazareth, George Washington, and Christopher Columbus). In 2004, King was posthumously awarded the Congressional Gold Medal. He was known as a great public speaker.[1] Dr. King often called for personal responsibility in fostering world peace.[2] King's most influential and well-known public address is the "I Have A Dream" speech, delivered on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C..


Dr. King is one of the few true American heroes. In a time where it has become fashionable to hero-bash--the name of Dr. King has remains unblemished, and justifiably so. Dr. King stood for what he believed, and was a man ahead of his time. In the face of adversity, he dedicated and sacrificed his life for the equality of all people. His dream, which many today still share, has continued to live on as his legacy. His adversaries took his life, but his heroic legacy will never die. "Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty we're free at last."
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 9:44 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (1/15/2007 5:49 PM) : 

That's a fine tribute. It would be wonderful to live in a world where we remember Dr King and the principles for which he stood - everyday, rather than just on this day.

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (1/15/2007 6:28 PM) : 

Oh wow, Dix, we posted the same picture of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.! That man is my non-living hero! What a difference he made in this world. Had he lived, well who knows what other significant changes he may have made in our Country. "My Dream" is to walk the exact same path he walked in Birmingham...carrying a sign which will read....Dr. King...I walk in your memeory...I was not here to walk with you then...but I walk today, feeling your presence. Thank you for all you did for Civil Rights in our Country!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1/15/2007 6:37 PM) : 

You are absolutely right - we've come a long way but we still have a far peace to go!

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (1/15/2007 7:50 PM) : 

nice tribut hon, he was an amazing awesome man.

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/15/2007 11:36 PM) : 

Hi DixieChick, I have seen you around the blogosphere for a few weeks now, first time I found my way here but I like what I see. I was in Vietnam when Dr King was killed, it was a bad time in America and a bad time there, a lot of unrest. I missed most of his movement since I was in the Army, drafted in June 1960. We were somewhat isolated. No doubt he was a great man, died much too soon, like JFK and Bobbie. The music is a nice touch.

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/15/2007 11:39 PM) : 

God bless your Marine, tell him I said thanks for his service, or better yet give me his email and I will tell him myself.

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/15/2007 11:43 PM) : 

I added you as a link, hope you don't mind.....

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/16/2007 9:47 PM) : 

Hi Dixie
I just posted something you want to see, if you would like to take and post yourself, feel free

God Bless Our Soldiers

 

Blogger Lexa Roséan said ... (1/16/2007 9:48 PM) : 

MLK was a great man!
thanks for visiting my blog but sorry to hear you have all the symptoms of Pyschic Attack. I have been posting remedies throughout the week. Often these attacks stem from jealousies even petty ones. luckily, they are easy to cleanse from when you take the proper steps.
blessings
The Witch Dr is IN

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (1/17/2007 7:28 AM) : 

Great post Sugarbaby

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (1/17/2007 8:57 AM) : 

great post Dixie, can't believe I'm 3 days behind in my blog reading.

 

post a comment