Dixie's - Heart and Soul: Countdown continues ...

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Countdown continues ...

539 hours until Matt walks on the parade deck....

24 days left before graduation!

23 days until I see my Marine!

22 days until I leave for PI!!!!

Yes, it does only seem like yesterday that I... We.... sent Matt off to boot camp. I can't believe how time truly does fly.

This is going to be a very hard week for Matt and all the other recruits. This is the week that you see many people mention that their recruits said was harder than the crucible even. Plus they get to sleep under the stars all week.

Matt is in Lead Series so yesterday he had classes on target engagement (multiple, moving) and a review of snap in (in case they forgot)

Today he will continue A Line- continue classes and preparing for combat firing- prequalification day for the combat firing that they learned yesterday.

Tomorrow he will experience the Gas Chamber and qualification day for the combat firing. They will get a class on the gas chamber and the gas mask and how to properly wear it and use it. Then they all line up outside the gas chamber with their masks properly strapped to their waist in the pouch. Just before entering the gas chamber they will put it on and make sure they have a good seal around their face. Then they will file in to the gas chamber and watch as the NBC tech breaks open some tablets of CS gas (tear gas) on the little burner. Once the fizziling has stopped then they all have to take a deep breath and hold it and close their eyes and lift their masks up to their foreheads so that all the DIs and Series Commanders can see everyones eyes (closed still) sometimes this can take a little bit if one of the recruits has a problem. Once they see everyones eyes they allow them to "Don and Clear their masks" (put them back on and clear the gas out by making a good seal again). They then turn and grasp the shoulder of the person in front of them and play follow the leader to the outside of the chamber. Once outside they can take off their masks and air out a little. But meanwhile the CS has really opened their sinuses and they definitely are not a pretty sight as they come out of the chamber with tears and runny noses that are involuntary.

Tomorrow, Land Navigation classes (how to use a compass, how to pace count, how to use their knowledge at night, etca Practical Application of Land Navigation during the daya Practical Application of Land Navigation at night.

Friday, Continue BWT- Day Movement Class (moving about during the day without being detected) - Class on hand and arms signals- Day Movement Practical Application (crawl thru tunnels, under barb wire, crawl on their bellies, camoflauge and concealment, crawl over walls, thru woods, etc without being detected)- cass on different combat formations (i.e. fireteam formations)- Then the same course they did during the day under low light conditions.

Saturday continues BWT for everyone- Combat Endurance Course (a 2.5 mi course which they have to use everything they learned in the last week, how to negotiate thru woods without making a sound as a squad, negotiate obstacles such as tunnels and walls and barbed wire and up and over obstacles such as cargo nets and monkey bars over a mud puddle -- to simulate going from tree branch to tree branch)- practice some drill in preparation for final drill.


So please keep him in your prayers. Looks like he's going to be very, very busy this week.
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 8:41 AM


Comments on "Countdown continues ..."

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (9/25/2007 9:17 AM) : 

That's why they are the few and the proud, and why when something blows all to hell, they call in the Marines first.

He can do it! He'll be a Marine soon, and you'll be his proud mama. I know you're anxious; we're all proud for you!

 

Blogger Special K ~Toni said ... (9/25/2007 9:54 AM) : 

Gas Chamber- always fun! ;]

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (9/25/2007 9:57 AM) : 

Yea Matt! I remember the gas mask training. It's awful. Then there was the pepper spray training (OC) that was worse. I so remember. Have a great day my friend. :)

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (9/25/2007 10:41 AM) : 

Wow, I wish I could see him march on the Parade deck, I would cry because I would be so proud.

The gas chamber sucks, I did it many times, the rifle range will be a rush, damn, I want to do it again.

 

Blogger Tug said ... (9/25/2007 10:50 AM) : 

GAS CHAMBER? Yucka. Many prayers, hugs & good wishes Dix & Matt!

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (9/25/2007 11:36 AM) : 

Best of luck to Matt and keep the faith Dixie...Cheers!!

 

Blogger katherine. said ... (9/25/2007 12:21 PM) : 

you've raised an amazing young man...thank you for sharing so much with all of us.

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (9/25/2007 2:01 PM) : 

The gas chamber will make him yak...lol. Dean said when they left the thing just about everyone was gagging and puking. Fun!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/25/2007 3:21 PM) : 

Matt will do okay. I promise...

The gun stuff sounds fun...

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (9/25/2007 7:24 PM) : 

Yikes! All that sounds like torture to me. Of course, many others have done it and survived. I'm sure Matt will too. Hugs. :)

 

Blogger Linda said ... (9/25/2007 7:39 PM) : 

It's going to be quite the week for him but I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Time's flying even though it might not seem like it. Hang in there, Mama!

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (9/25/2007 9:25 PM) : 

Dang. I wanna go.

**whines a little and pouts**

 

Blogger Julie said ... (9/26/2007 1:20 AM) : 

What a busy week! And I thought I had a lot to do!

He's gonna make it my dearest Dixie! And so are you!

 

Blogger Maggie Moo said ... (9/26/2007 8:02 AM) : 

Oh, gas chamber...I've seen video of it and I know I would never be able to handle that...Matt's strong, I am sure he did well.

 

post a comment