Dixie's - Heart and Soul: Blogaversary, Happy Birthday Daddy, Letter from Matt

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Blogaversary, Happy Birthday Daddy, Letter from Matt

One year ago today, I decided to jump on this blogging wagon. I've never been a writer ... still not a very good one, but the friends that I have made...



This year, however the tragic events hold a different meaning to me. I believe that because of these events is one of the main reasons that my son wanted to be a Marine ... To fight for what he believed in ... our great country!
Today is a very sad day for everyone. I can remember it like it was yesterday, I started my morning routine, called my Dad to wish him Happy Birthday and headed out the door for my 45 minute commute to work.

I remember where I was when I first heard the news of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center. I was sitting at a red light, listening to a local morning radio show, when Rusty Mac, who passed away a couple of years ago, said "A plane has just flown into the World Trade Center." I froze.... the light changed and I couldn't move. I remember someone honking their horn for me to go.

The very first thought I had was, Oh Lord....how could this be possible. How could an experienced pilot not see the towers? Then I thought, could this be an act of terrorism? I rushed to work only to find those who had gotten to work before me already had heard the news and had the television on watching.

As I stood there with the rest of my co-workers watching the first tower burn, I could not believe what I was about to witness. As the 2nd plane crashed into the 2nd building, my knees buckled and my heart broke.

How could this be happening? Why? What monster is responsible for this? I cried, my heart went out to thousands of families and people that I would never know.

I called my Mom and Dad that morning asking them if they were watching tv. They were.... I told my Mom and Dad that I loved them.

Now as I sit here today, 6 years later, my heart still breaks. Not only is it a very sad day for the tragedy of 911, but a sad day for me. My Dad would have been 74 years old today.

Daddy passed away Sunday, September 3, 2006.



WE SHALL NEVER FORGET!
I love you Daddy!

Letter from Matt -

Momma,

Hey sorry I haven't wrote in a long time. I've been busy. I've either been working out during free time or getting ready for the next day. Tell everyone of your friends that I appreciate the stamps and letters. I've just forgot who sent what. Yea, I've got your questions I've just haven't had time. Tell Kaitlin I'm proud of her becoming a cheerleader and to stick int here. This week is Grass Week which is where they teach us how to shoot and next week is fire week where we actually shoot. I weighed 208 by the time I hydrated and ate and got here and now I weigh 185. I only gotta loose 4 pounds till I'm at USMC enlisted standards. Well I gotta go now. I gotta work out. Tell everyone I love them and tell Don Johnson I said Semper Fi and tell Kaitlin I lover her.

** Don Johnson is a retired Marine who lives in our small town....

If I had been home yesterday when the mail arrived I would have kissed the mailman... I do feel some better now knowing that he's still alive and doing good.

I am assuming that he has passed everything so far as he didn't mention it...

5 short Wednesday's and we leave for Parris Island
5 short Thursday's and it's Family Day - I will get to see my son for the first time since July 23
5 short Friday's and my son will be a United States Marine!!!

SMOOCHES~
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 7:58 AM


Comments on "Blogaversary, Happy Birthday Daddy, Letter from Matt"

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (9/11/2007 8:38 AM) : 

Matt sounds like he's got the thing nailed. If he hadn't passed everything so far he wouldn't be allowed to qualify for rifle.

After the next two weeks, it's really all downhill - not that it gets easier. Just that he's pretty much dialed in.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9/11/2007 10:17 AM) : 

I think you got one heckova marine in your future...**GRIN**

Hugs to you thinking about daddy. He's looking down at you and your family and is so proud! There's something special about Dads and their girls....

 

Blogger Coco said ... (9/11/2007 11:29 AM) : 

*hugs honey*

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/11/2007 12:09 PM) : 

maybe I should go to boot camp. 205 to 185??? So I would be like, 105 pounds! Lol.

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (9/11/2007 12:11 PM) : 

Here's to Matt and congrats on your 1 year anniversary.

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (9/11/2007 12:30 PM) : 

Happy one year blog anniversary. Your tribute to 9-11 is awesome, and Matts letter is great. I did get a visual of you kissing the mailman though. Have a great day. :)

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (9/11/2007 1:13 PM) : 

happy anniversary Sugarbaby

{{{{HUGS}}}}}

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (9/11/2007 1:46 PM) : 

The boy is becoming a Marine Mama, I love it, how can people forget what happened today.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (9/11/2007 3:52 PM) : 

Happy Anniversary to you and your blogging career and I think you're a fine writer.

As for your father, I can relate as it still doesn't seem that it was so long ago that my own father passed away. Sometimes I still have to stop and think about it and it makes me sad all over again - like I just realized that he's truly gone.

Matt sounds like he is doing wonderfully! Semper Fi!

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (9/11/2007 4:06 PM) : 

Smooches and hugs my dear sis!

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (9/11/2007 4:09 PM) : 

Happy Anniversary, Dixie! Wow, it has been a year already? Doesn't seem that long. Of course, it doesn't seem all that long ago that we first "met" either! Time sure flies.
I'm glad Matt is doing well. Hopefully, the time won't drag for you and that you get to see him lickety split!
I never knew your dad, but he must have been one heck of a guy to have raised such a wonderful person as yourself. Hugs to you.

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (9/11/2007 4:23 PM) : 

You raised a strong one there, Dixie.

Happy Blogiversary, and Happy Anniversary of your Daddy's birthday.

Semper Fi.

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (9/11/2007 5:02 PM) : 

the time will fly honey!!! (i hope anyway)...

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (9/11/2007 7:50 PM) : 

I forgot to say Happy Bloggiversary.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (9/11/2007 8:02 PM) : 

You done good, raising Matt that way. I was just reading a short story about a guy who came home from the Marines. At a football game, they said the pledge and of course, he saluted. He heard a little boy say, "What is he doing? Is he a soldier?" "No, son," the father said, "He's a Marine."

 

Blogger Mimi Lenox said ... (9/11/2007 8:40 PM) : 

Good for Matt. It feels like Matt has his own little cheering section from all parts of the world just for him! That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing him with us, Dixie. We almost feel like he's our son too.

And you can tell him we said so.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (9/12/2007 7:45 AM) : 

HAPPY BLOGGOVERSARY

I could not visit yesterday knowing posts about the day would abound...it still hurts to much

Matt is a man..and you made him that way...HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND

 

Blogger Angell said ... (9/12/2007 12:58 PM) : 

HUGS to you at this time my friend. Matt is doing great and you raised yourself a wonderful young man.

SEMPRE FI to Matt. (Maybe I'll join a bootcamp to lose weight too - sounds like it works :P) Congrats to him.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (9/12/2007 8:40 PM) : 

**tosses flaming walnuts for a buttload of reasons**

Teeheehee...I said "buttload"!

 

post a comment