Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Thursday, July 19, 2007

Received this in an e-mail yesterday. It's a must share.

She is 92 years old, petite, well poised, and proud. She is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with her hair fashionably coifed, and her makeup perfectly applied, in spite of the fact she is legally blind.

Today she has moved to a nursing home. Her husband of 70 years recently passed away, making this move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, she smiled sweetly when told her room was ready. As she maneuvered her walker to the elevator, I provided a visual description of her tiny room, including the eyelet curtains that had been hung on her window.

"I love it," she stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mrs. Jones, you haven't seen the room...just wait," I said.
Then she spoke these words that I will never Forget:

"That does not have anything to do with it," she gently replied. "Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not, does not depend on how the furniture is arranged. It is how I arrange my mind. I have already decided to love it. It is a decision I make every morning when I wake up. I have a choice. I can spend the day in bed recounting the difficulty I have with the parts of my body that no longer work, or I can get out of bed and be thankful for the ones that do work. Each day is a gift, and as long as my eyes open, I will focus on the new day and all of the happy memories I have stored away...just for this time in my life. Old age is like a bank account. You withdraw from what you have already put in. "

I believe-
That our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I believe-
That no matter how good a friend is, they're going to hurt you every once in a while and you must forgive them for that.

I believe-
That just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I believe-
That true friendship continues to grow, even over the longest distance. Same goes for true love.

I believe-
That it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

I believe-
That you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.

I believe-
That you can keep going, long after you can't.

I believe-
That we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.

I believe-
That either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I believe-
That heroes are the people who do what has to be done when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I believe-
That money is a lousy way of keeping score.

I believe-
That my best friend and I can do anything or nothing and have the best time.

I believe-
That sometimes the people you expect to kick you when you're down, will be the ones to help you get back up.

I believe-
To be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I believe-
That maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

I believe-
That it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others. Sometimes you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I believe-
That no matter how bad your heart is broken the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I believe-
That just because two people argue, it doesn't mean they don't love each other. And just because they don't argue, it doesn't mean they do.

I believe-
That you shouldn't be so eager to find out a secret. It could change your life forever.

I believe-
That two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.

I believe-
That your life can be changed in a matter of hours by people who don't even know you.

I believe-
That even when you think you have no more to give, when a friend cries out to you, you will find the strength to help.

I believe-
That credentials on the wall do not make you a decent human being.

I believe-
That the people you care about most in life are taken from you too soon.

Happiness is being able to recognize and appreciate when "life, at this particular moment in time, is perfect."
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 9:46 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Special K ~Toni said ... (7/19/2007 9:14 AM) : 

I love it! Thanks for the reminders!

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (7/19/2007 9:57 AM) : 

This is fantastic!!!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (7/19/2007 10:56 AM) : 

Very very good. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

 

Blogger Gail said ... (7/19/2007 12:31 PM) : 

Thank you for this...

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (7/19/2007 12:35 PM) : 

You are so right with this one. Excellent. What a great reminder on what's important. Thank you. Have a great day. :)

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (7/19/2007 1:44 PM) : 

Mmmm I love that

Smooch

 

Blogger Linda said ... (7/19/2007 8:55 PM) : 

Every once in awhile you get an email like this that just makes you sit back and say "YES!"

Thank you for posting it.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (7/19/2007 9:11 PM) : 

No matter the distance...

Love you sis!

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (7/19/2007 10:45 PM) : 

thinking of you dixie. hurting for you. sending you hugs and knowing the pride you feel will get you through.

he is a hero in my book. a true blue american hero. wear your pride upfront honey...

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (7/20/2007 12:27 AM) : 

Best wishes to you, Dixie, as you send off your son to boot. He leaves your baby, and he returns a man.

Matt, go get 'em! Oo-rah!

 

Blogger TopChamp said ... (7/20/2007 2:39 AM) : 

Hello Dixie - I saw from Bond that the big day is nearly here - and wanted to say GOOD LUCK to Matt, and BIG HUGS to you. I sincerely wish you both all the best x

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (7/20/2007 5:53 AM) : 

MATT: Good luck Sir. Make us all proud and come back soon to give your momma a big ole hug and kiss
Dicie...Your friends are here for you

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (7/20/2007 6:18 AM) : 

I came here via The Couch. Wishing you and your son all the best. :-)

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (7/20/2007 6:26 AM) : 

I'm so glad you posted this, Dixie...it's a great reminder for everyone, isn't it?

Matt will be just fine - I'm sure of it!! And we'll help you through it - just call on us ANYTIME!!

Love ya!
Pia

 

Blogger ANGEL ABBYGRACE said ... (7/20/2007 6:59 AM) : 

I came from visiting Bee. Just wanted to say this was priceless and good luck to Matt. What a brave soul he is and bless him in his travels.

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (7/20/2007 6:59 AM) : 

Dix - My first real "hit ya in the heart Soul Patrol Friend." The pride you hold for your son is beautiful! Love you always!

Matt: Stand Tall, much luck and prayers coming your way! Stay Safe, for you are loved very much! My Ex was a former Marine, for over 10 years. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I know you are extremely proud! Semper Fi (Always Faithful)!!!! Hugs to y'all from Sue Ann

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (7/20/2007 7:17 AM) : 

Dixie, I have a post up to express my thanks for your son and his willingness to become a MARINE. Your boy becomes a man this weekend, we will be proud with you.

The old sarge

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (7/20/2007 7:30 AM) : 

Dixie: It's going to be a tough road ahead but we're all here for you any time you need us. You've raised a wonderful family there... one you have every right to be very proud of. Through your blog, we have gotten to know Matt so well and you have done such a good job with him that he is destined for greatness. I love feeling the love you have for him when I come here to visit.

Matt: This is the start of a whole new life! You're going to do great! Hang in there and don't forget to just keep going even when it gets tough or you get tired and homesick.Know that everyone is rooting for you and sending you lots of warm hugs! You will be constantly in our thoughts and if either you or your mom ever needs a thing, all you have to do is ask.

Good luck! You're going to do great!

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (7/20/2007 7:58 AM) : 

Here Via the Couch. Dixie, be proud, you raised him well. And Matt, stay safe and good luck!

 

Blogger Maggie Moo said ... (7/20/2007 8:40 AM) : 

Thinking of you and Matt this weekend Dixie-congratulations and be well...we'll be here when you get back.

Love,

Mags

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/20/2007 9:05 AM) : 

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Blogger Coco said ... (7/20/2007 9:35 AM) : 

came out of retirement to post for you. so proud of you, Matt, and love you, Dixie. stay strong, both of you.

 

Blogger Debbie said ... (7/20/2007 9:43 AM) : 

You've done well, Mom. Glad to see someone raised their boy to be a man- as a mother of 4 girls, trust me, they are fewer and farther between than you might think =)

 

Blogger Bar L. said ... (7/20/2007 9:47 AM) : 

Dixie, Please let Matt know that my family is grateful for his service. I will remember to pray for you both when I pray for all the military families I know.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7/20/2007 10:00 AM) : 

Thinking of you, hon!
http://lowdownfromlois.blogspot.com/2007/07/angels-and-friends.html

 

Blogger Merritt Fields said ... (7/20/2007 10:44 AM) : 

Dixie, I will praying for Matt's safety. And for you, as well.

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (7/20/2007 11:09 AM) : 

Bond and Empress Bee are reminding us all that Matt is leaving on Sunday. A big hug to the both of you. You can use my shoulder to cry on if you want to girlfriend. A big thank you to Matt for his upcoming service to the best country in the world. Hugs, Loves, and Smooches. :)

 

Blogger Angell said ... (7/20/2007 11:46 AM) : 

Ummm, someone wanna pass me the community you-know-what? I think I'm crying again.....

Dix, thank you for posting that for us.

Matt: Best of luck to you young man. You have made all of us (even though I am a Canuck) proud and your mama is one lucky lady to have raised such a fine young man.
Watch your arse over there, and we'll pray for you daily.

HUGS TO ALL.

 

Blogger Gunfighter said ... (7/20/2007 12:45 PM) : 

Matt:

Semper Fi, kid.

I was a Marine for 8 years, and I am very proud of my service.

Do what your DI's tell you, do it fast, and do it like it;s the last thing you'll ever do.

Have "fun" at PI!

Gunfighter

 

Blogger Linda said ... (7/20/2007 1:04 PM) : 

I have you and Matt both in my thoughts and prayers this weekend as he heads off to boot camp.

God bless you both and tell Matt thank you very much for his service to our country for me! He's going to be a great Marine!

 

Blogger Flag Gazer said ... (7/20/2007 1:57 PM) : 

Dixie-
This weekend when Matt leaves will be a hard one for you - just know that a great many of us have both of you in our thoughts and prayers. And, you are one step closer to becoming a 'Marine Parent' - one very exclusive club!

Thank you, Matt, for being willing to stand up for our country, to become a Marine. We are proud of you.

God Bless You!

 

Blogger Flag Gazer said ... (7/20/2007 1:57 PM) : 

Dixie-
This weekend when Matt leaves will be a hard one for you - just know that a great many of us have both of you in our thoughts and prayers. And, you are one step closer to becoming a 'Marine Parent' - one very exclusive club!

Thank you, Matt, for being willing to stand up for our country, to become a Marine. We are proud of you.

God Bless You!

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (7/20/2007 2:03 PM) : 

A big HUG for you both. Smooch

 

Blogger Bud Weiser, WTIT said ... (7/20/2007 2:39 PM) : 

All the best to Matt. God bless you and be safe.

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (7/20/2007 5:24 PM) : 

Dixie, I hope you make this a wonderful weekend.
Matt, Go luck and God's speed to you.

 

Blogger tiggerprr said ... (7/20/2007 5:45 PM) : 

Here via Bond's comfy couch! Good luck Matt, and Dixie too! :)

May you always stay safe!

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (7/20/2007 6:00 PM) : 

This is beautiful, Dixie. Thank you so much for sharing! I feel that, every once in awhile, we all need a reminder of just how good life can be.
Anyway, bon voyage to your Matt as he heads into the Marines! And big hugs to the both of you. :)

 

Blogger Peg said ... (7/20/2007 6:17 PM) : 

Such a very touching entry...

Dixie, you are in my thoughts as is Matt...my warmest wishes to you both...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7/20/2007 9:15 PM) : 

Hugs to you Dixie and to Matt!

 

Blogger Amazing Gracie said ... (7/20/2007 10:30 PM) : 

where on earth have the past few months gone? I've watched that meter count down and here it is! The outpouring of caring is thrilling to see; the encouragement from people who have been there and know what it's like and those like me, who cannot relate but love my country and give thanks for the good men like Matt who are willing to go overseas and kick some butt!
Moms everywhere can relate to sending a child off to the unknown but this is for a purpose of honor, keep your head up, friend. We love you!
~~~Blessings~~~~

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (7/20/2007 11:01 PM) : 

Big hugs Dix.

**stands to, salutes**

Semper Fi Matt!

 

Blogger Kila said ... (7/21/2007 1:02 AM) : 

Matt, God Bless and Thank You!

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (7/21/2007 7:16 AM) : 

Good Luck and Best Wishes to both of you and to your friends and family. Cheers!!

 

Blogger Gail said ... (7/21/2007 9:39 AM) : 

Darling Dixie & Matt,

I want to wish you and yours all the best...Matt, you're doing us all proud. This is an awesome gesture to your family and the country.

My dearest friend Dixie, I am here for you as you have been for me. Anytime you need to let the tears flow, you know where to find me.

I love you and you will always be in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and God Bless.

 

Blogger jillie said ... (7/21/2007 2:37 PM) : 

Best wishes to Matt and come home to us soon...THANK YOU!!!

Dixie...thoughts and prayers to you as you bid your son good bye.

Maybe your journey be a safe one.

HUGS AND WELL WISHES TO YOU BOTH

 

Blogger Julie said ... (7/22/2007 12:38 AM) : 

Hugs and Prayers go to both you and Matt dear friend. Kaitlin and Tony too!

Just remember one thing here...God has Matt in the palm of His hand right now just like He did when Matt would be driving you nuts!

Love ya my dear.

 

Blogger Barb said ... (7/22/2007 10:11 AM) : 

What a wonderful email that was!

My heart goes with you as you send your son to the Marines. May God keep him safe.

 

Blogger Sparky Duck said ... (7/22/2007 11:53 AM) : 

*hugs* to you Dixie because you have raised a great boy that I am sure will be missed. and *hugs* to Matt, well *hugs and fist bumps* since guys dont hug because everyone is just proud of him

 

Blogger Bulldog said ... (7/22/2007 11:56 AM) : 

Best of luck to Matt in his journey through "boot camp". As Matt's Mom, I shall keep you in my thoughts & prayers. Lord knows this can't be easy for either mother or son. No doubt, Matt will make you proud in 12-13 weeks!

 

Blogger Tug said ... (7/22/2007 1:50 PM) : 

Just popping in to let you know I'm thinking of you this weekend Dix...sending ((hugs)) & saying prayers.

Matt, thank you. You're an awesome young man, & we all know how very proud your mama is. Take care, know that you've got tons of prayers going for you!

 

Blogger Callie Ann said ... (7/22/2007 2:21 PM) : 

From One Mother to Another. Thank you for having such a brave Son. I am very proud of this wonderful young man of yours. Thank you Dixie. See ya around the Mo Show girl.
Love Callie

 

Blogger damm said ... (7/22/2007 3:08 PM) : 

you are both braver than i could ever wish to be. may GOD be with you both...always

 

Blogger Mimi Lenox said ... (7/22/2007 5:22 PM) : 

Prayers and hugs to you and your family. Matt is surrounded by so many people who care about him.

Be safe and God bless.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (7/22/2007 7:03 PM) : 

Dixie - scroll back up! You got that Damm Duck out of lurking! WOO!

 

Blogger Ralph said ... (7/22/2007 7:49 PM) : 

Dixie, Matt has received from you the values of right and wrong, of honor and commitment. You must be proud of him. Tha Marines are accepting a great recruit...

 

Blogger Julia Phillips Smith said ... (7/22/2007 9:59 PM) : 

I've popped over from Sparky Duck's blog to wish you very warm thoughts and prayers as you watch your son take up his role as a Marine. To your son, I say Semper Fi.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (7/23/2007 5:48 AM) : 

OH MY GOD!!

DUCK!!!!!

The Damm Duck!!!

Once a duckmaster always duckmaster Sis.

Matt honey, stay safe. Your mother raised a fine son, you make us all so very proud of you.

You're going on quite a journey. When your body tells you it can't go on, when you're tired and start second guessing yourself, remember we know you'll make it through with flying colours.

You're in our hearts, thoughts and prayers.

 

post a comment