Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Friday, January 19, 2007

Do you think kids today could survive if they didn't have cell phones, X-Box, I-Pods, etc.... I think they could. Wouldn't it be nice to go back to those days?

1 First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

2 They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.

3 Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

4 We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

5 As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

6 Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

7 We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

8 We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

9 We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because we were always outside playing!

10 We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

11 No one was able to reach us all day. And we were o.k.

12 We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

13 We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, x-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........we had friends and we went outside and found them!

14 We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

15 We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

16 We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

17 Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

18 The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

19 This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

20 The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

21 We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all!
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 9:46 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1/19/2007 9:14 AM) : 

Ahhh the gold old days. My son thinks I'm weard when I tell him about games like 'kick the can'.

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (1/19/2007 10:46 AM) : 

I'm told sometimes that I'm too hard on Miss Dub, but I say I turned out ok. It's amazing that we worked hard and played hard as a child and turned out fine.

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (1/19/2007 11:57 AM) : 

I guess I shoulda been toast by the time I was 10!!! Poor kids today don't know what they missed...

HSG and have a good weekend!
Pia

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (1/19/2007 6:56 PM) : 

hey what about walking to school in 5 feet of snow, up hill both ways?? huh?

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/19/2007 7:39 PM) : 

Do you remember when...

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (1/19/2007 9:03 PM) : 

Oh my sis sent me this in an email the other day.

I remember when Mom used to grab the dishtowel out of the sink and wipe my mouth!! Hmmmmm...somehow I never managed to get lockjaw or whatever scary sickness parents are afraid of these days.

 

Blogger Merle said ... (1/19/2007 10:47 PM) : 

Hi Dixiechick ~~ It is so nice to meet you and I like the look of your blog too. Love your motto "Live simply, love generously, Speak kindly and leave the rest to God." Beautiful
Also I am so glad that you have new love in your life who makes you happy. I am hoored that you have linked my site and hope you continue to enjoy your visits Take care,Merle.

 

Blogger Merle said ... (1/19/2007 11:06 PM) : 

Hi again Dixiechick ~~ Did you read my post from Monday, 15 January? It is about a Marine and a lovely story.
It is lovely that you are so proud of your son. My url address is
merle-3rdtimelucky.blogspot.com/

Bye again, Merle.

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (1/20/2007 7:13 AM) : 

I stopped by this morning, watched the video again, great way to start one's day

 

Blogger Peg said ... (1/20/2007 8:27 AM) : 

Amazing that we survived!

:-/ Now I want to play kick-the-can!!

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (1/20/2007 9:58 AM) : 

yup, the good ol' days. We were never home....now it's so hard to get the kids to just play outside.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (1/20/2007 5:46 PM) : 

My daughter is amazed that I didn't have DVDs and CDs growing up and even more amazed that my father didn't have VCRs!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1/20/2007 7:57 PM) : 

So true! Many parents think I'm crazy when I say that I hope my kids have a little pain, tragedy, and disappointment in their lives. I certainly did and I'm better for it.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (1/21/2007 6:45 PM) : 

We used to ride on the FENDERS of the farm jeep. YUP

SMOOCH

 

post a comment