Dixie's - Heart and Soul: I am on a rant today ....

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I am on a rant today ....

My parents told me about Mr. Common Sense early in my life and told me I would do well to call on him when making decisions. It seems he was always around in my early years but less and less as time passed by.

Today I read his obituary. Please join me for a moment of silence in remembrance. For Common Sense has served us all so well for so many generations.

Obituary for

Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a
student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't legally defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

Do you still remember him? I met one person yesterday who sure doesn't.

Why did I post this you may be asking yourself. Well let me explain. I promise that I will make a long story very short but you will get the jest.

Yesterday I made a visit to the doctors office to pick up a billiing statement to turn into my insurance company. While I was there the lovely receptionist was asking me about my recent trip to Parris Island.

Ahhhh yes how my face just lit up ... the proud smile that crossed my face ... the excitement as I pulled out my small photo album that I carry in my purse with memories of Parris Island and my Marine... my voice as I was stuttering ... couldn't get the words out quick enough...

There was several people in the waiting room ... the ones that I had my back to ... they were in no way part of the conversation.

As I was every so proudly showing Mrs. D my pictures and I heard this woman's voice and she said ...

"Oh, so your son is a Marine?"

I whirl around and ever so politely and proudly say ...

"Why, yes ma'am he is!"

Then it(she) started in....

she said that she was an Army wife, that her husband had served a couple of tours in Iraq, yada, yada, yada ..... and then she preceeded to do NOTHING BUT BAD MOUTH THE MARINE CORPS.

Let me tell you I was livid.... so being the gracious southern lady I am and very proud Marine Mom I just looked.. no wait... glared at her and said politely said

"Thank you for your opinion, however I don't believe that I was talking to you. And please thank your husband for serving our country for after all FREEDOM ISN'T FREE"

Now some may say if I were in your shoes I would have said more than that but you know I didn't. I did not in any way want to embarass myself, my son or the Marine Corps. I wanted to be the bigger person and show class and dignity. Which I do believe I did with that statement.

Thank you for allowing me to share this rant with you today.
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 12:01 PM


Comments on "I am on a rant today ...."

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (11/13/2007 12:36 PM) : 

So you have assholes where you live too eh? You are a bigger person than I; I would have humiliated her somehow. Cheers Dixie!!

 

Blogger katherine. said ... (11/13/2007 1:56 PM) : 

common sense is gone...ain't THAT the truth...

sadly I have to admit I would have been with Matt on that one...she would have been sorry. I applaud your grace.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (11/13/2007 2:07 PM) : 

Y'all I just could not bring myself to her level. Believe me, it was much easier said than done... but I did it.

There is no way in hell I would EVER bad mouth another branch of the military. It's takes all of them to get the job done.

 

Blogger Crazy Working Mom said ... (11/13/2007 5:23 PM) : 

Way to keep that southern charm, Dixie! :)

I'm proud of you. I just don't see how anyone could be so horrible! :(

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (11/13/2007 8:05 PM) : 

good girl dixie! i don't know if i would have been as good...

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (11/13/2007 8:07 PM) : 

I'm with Bee on this one. I think I would have done some evil. I have always loved the Common Sense poem. Big hug to you Dixie. :)

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (11/13/2007 8:15 PM) : 

Well done and well said.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (11/14/2007 7:31 AM) : 

Good for you Sugarbaby. Take some solace in the fact that she must live a miserable existence.

Smooch

 

Blogger Angell said ... (11/14/2007 9:02 AM) : 

Nicely done Dixie. Keeping your dignity while she trashes hers was the best thing to do.

I agree with Turn. She's gotta be miserable.

You have every right to be proud of Matt and his decisions. He's brave enough to fight for his country, as was this woman's husband.

Too bad they couldnt' send HER to Iraq.

HUGS SUGAR.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (11/14/2007 12:15 PM) : 

Class & Dignity....Throughout my years as a coach for baseball i would stress those two words to my teams... we lose with class and dignity, we win with class and dignity...anything short of that is...well.. it is that woman in the waiting room

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (11/14/2007 6:32 PM) : 

Way to go Dixie, you know I am outspoken about things I believe to be right and when someone crosses my path I try to be respectful while I explain that I am right and they are wrong. Sometimes you get a real asshole and you have to go off on them, with those people I will hold my words as long as I can stand it and then I will explode like a bomb. I have developed the ability to smile at someone while I tell the what an asshole they are.

 

Blogger Semper Fi Mom said ... (11/14/2007 8:29 PM) : 

Good job Dixie! You handled it well. I stood in the checkout line behind an Army wife at WalMart a while back who was badmouthing the Marine Corps to the cashier. I have no idea why. I listened for a bit and then I finally had to say something. I told her that I have two sons who are Marines and that the Marine Corps has been good for them and to them, and I am so very proud. She started backtracking and I just let it go. I felt like slapping her silly, but I restrained myself. :)

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (11/15/2007 5:41 AM) : 

I think most people have pushed common sense into hiding.. but you've proven she's still around.

Hugs sis!

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (11/20/2007 10:37 AM) : 

The few and the proud, Dixie. That includes the families of the Chosen Few.

You are that, and you continue to be. Stay strong, momma. You do us all proud.

 

post a comment