Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Thursday, December 07, 2006

My 13 favorite Christmas movies… Edition #5

1 Miracle on 34th Street

The original, I enjoy watching Natalie Wood, with those beguiling, wide, innocent eyes, try to believe in Santa Claus after being told by her mother, that Santa really doesn’t exist...Her mother is head of the department that hires men to be Santa in the annual Macy‘s Thanksgiving parade and when her latest Santa gets drunk the real Santa just happens to be in the neighborhood and is hired...When he tells everyone his true identity things get a bit out of hand...Is he able to keep his promise to the little girl and can he make her believe in him? Will the world believe after the mail to Santa is delivered to the courthouse during his competency trial?

2. A Christmas Carol

The one with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge: I know I just said I enjoyed the first version the most but coming in second is this one...Stewart does such a great job in this role and, with the advent of better special effects, the scenes with the ghosts are much scarier and fun at the same time to watch. The Cratchit household has a more realistic feel of what it must have been like for those with low incomes in those days, a drearier feel of helplessness so, when the happy ending unfolds, and Scrooge sees the error of his ways the difference stands out

3. A Christmas Story

Filled with funny fantasies that 9 year old Ralphie has when he dreams of his ultimate Christmas gift, a “genuine red flyer carbine action air rifle". He will do whatever he can to get the message across to his parents and Santa Claus whether begging or dropping hints whenever he can...Along the way we are taken back to those good ole days of the 1940’s in a small town when things were a bit simpler. Its charm is the way his dreams are shown in clever vignettes, which take this film out of the ordinary Christmas children’s movie category.

4. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Chevy Chase takes parenting to new heights in this truly silly but very funny movie. He wants nothing more than to give his family the perfect Christmas, with the perfect tree that he goes out into the forest to cut down himself, which of course, is way to big for the house. Hilarious results ensue when the entire family shows up to share the holiday including the cousin from hell with his family in the wreck of an old motor home. When Chase doesn’t get the Christmas bonus he expected the results would be disastrous if this wasn’t the Griswalds family we were watching. More important, once again was the lesson learned about the meaning of family and the spirit of Christmas.

5. It’s A Wonderful Life

What would a Christmas movie list be without this classic film being included? Though I sometimes think I never want to watch it again I find myself being inexplicably drawn to it when I see it playing on TV. This vintage movie from the 40’s tells the tale of a small town hero who makes a wish and, when it’s granted, finds out how much his wish affected everybody in the town just by the very nature of how he has led his life and how he was so important to so many others and the town itself...James Stewart played this part with such complexity and warmth, that to this day I think it was his best role. Lionel Barrymore is the ultimate Scrooge and should have played that role in one of the Christmas Carol movies.

6. Elf

Another new movie for me and one I really didn’t expect to like...I’m not too crazy about Will Ferrell since he left Saturday Night Live but this is a cute story about a baby who accidentally crawled into Santa’s bag on Christmas Eve and was whisked away to the North Pole...There he was raised by Elves and thought of himself as an Elf. But soon his size became a problem so his Elf “parents” decided it was time he returned to his world...That’s when the problems began and the lessons in the movie were learned. Ferrell did a good job without going completely over the top as he has done in a few of his other movies and, as I said, I actually did enjoy this movie to my big surprise.

7. Polar Express

I haven’t seen this one yet. This is on my must see list for this year. I can’t make any comments yet, but my 11 year old daughter tells me this is one of the most wonderful Christmas movies she has ever seen. She will be getting this movie for Christmas.

8. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (original)

I can't resist this classic Dr. Suess tale with songs sung by Burl Ives. It's been a favorite since I was a child. (not sure this counts as a movie, it's really more of a half hour tv show)I list this before the movie, well, because I like the original better. Its about the only childhood show I still enjoy.

9. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)

I wasn't sure whether they could pull off remaking a classic Dr. Suess tale, but Carrey and company managed to pull it off. I thought this movies recreation of Whovile was spot on. As far as Carrey goes, his version of the Grinch was unforgettable.

10. SCROOGED

Assistant on the Christmas Carol special: "I can't get the antlers on the little mice". Bill Murray as Frank Cross: "Have you tried stapling them?" I always loved this comedy take on the classic Scrooge. Keep the original and the countless remakes, I'll take this comic update every time. Bill Murray's dead pan humor makes this holiday movie a riot, but throw in Bobcat Goldthwait, Carol Kane, and even Robert Mitchum, and you have a film that I can watch every year and still laugh.

11. Home Alone

Always a favorite for good laughs, Macaulay Calkin plays Kevin McCallister an 8-year old who's forgotten at home by his parents when they travel to Europe. Thieves are looting all the houses in the neighborhood, but when they come to the McCallister house they're in for a surprise! The two thieves in this movie are played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. This is a good movie for the kids and adults.

12. The Santa Clause

One of my favorite Tim Allen movies! A divorced dad (Scott Calvin) has his son for the holidays and finds more adventure than he bargained for. After Santa has a mishap, Scott trie on Santa's suit and hence becomes Santa! His appearance changes over the next year to actually match the jolly old guy!

13. Jingle All the Way

This is a broad comedy about a father's desperate attempt (Arnold Schwarzenegger) to find an action figure on Christmas Eve. This is pretty outlandish, and full of coincidences, but it's really funny. Although the fact that no one seems to recognize Arnold Schwarzenegger's character despite his distinctive accent, he is still pretty good, as is the supporting cast: Rita Wilson as his wife, Sinbad as a mailman also desperately searching for a Turbo Man action figure, and Phil Hartman (R.I.P.) as the ultimate smarmy neighbor. Even if a movie about a frantic search for a sold-out toy sounds like it would run out of steam fast, this is still a great movie, though one in which adults will more appreciate a few of the parts.

Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 12:01 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/07/2006 8:08 AM) : 

Sisters I tell you!
I love every last one of those movies. I haven't got to see them all this year. I miss seeing Home Alone. I think I have it on VHS somewhere, I must pull it out.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (12/07/2006 9:19 AM) : 

Damn--even MORE evidence that we are actually sisters! SMOOCH!!

 

Blogger Shelby said ... (12/07/2006 9:25 AM) : 

these are fantastic movies!:)

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (12/07/2006 9:43 AM) : 

Never seen the Polar Express but all the rest are one the money funny/sweet/great to watch

 

Blogger Tug said ... (12/07/2006 10:27 AM) : 

I need to watch Polar Express, too - LOVE the list!!

 

Blogger Coco said ... (12/07/2006 10:27 AM) : 

Polar Express ... Brennan had nightmares for weeks about this one - so I've only seen it once, but it was good - real good. Scrooged, I love. Bill Murray is one of the funniest guys ever. And the oldies are the best. But it's not Christmas until I've seen ... The Grinch (the original). Nothing compares to it, IMHO. The music, the mood, the expressions on that character's face. I love it!

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (12/07/2006 11:35 AM) : 

I love it when they run the movie marathons of "A Christmas Story" on TBS right before Christmas...that movie still slays me every time I watch it. "Christmas Vacation" is also one of my favs - especially Cousin Eddie's sewage disposal and the squirrel in the tree - too funny!!!

Hugs!
Pia

 

Blogger I blinded you with Science! said ... (12/07/2006 11:56 AM) : 

I love every single one of these movies. I have to say though, that anything with Bill Murray in it is incredible.

I'm going to make a week out of your Thursday 13 and rent them and watch 2 a night!

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (12/07/2006 12:06 PM) : 

Busy and Turn, it does appear that we are sisters...

East of Oregon, Thanks for stopping by and Happy TT!

Bond, I will see Polar Express before the Christmas season is over... remember Kaitlin is getting for Christmas...

Thanks Tug.. Happy TT!

Coco, Oh Bill Murray... he is hilarious!!!

I'm with you Pia with the marathon... I never get tired of watching. Oh yeah... the sewage disposal... LMOO

Diana, that is an excellent idea. Will definately get one in the Christmas spirit.

 

Blogger TopChamp said ... (12/07/2006 12:19 PM) : 

Sleigh bells ring... la la la la...

Off to rehearse now feeling festive. Happy TT!

 

Blogger JAM said ... (12/07/2006 1:33 PM) : 

I really like all of these except for Polar Express, which I haven't seen yet. Great list. It gets harder each year to squeeze in all the Christmas shows before the day.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (12/07/2006 1:38 PM) : 

Happy TT to you topchamp... doesn't it feel grand to be in the holiday spirit!!!

jam, yes it does get harder each year to squeeze everything in. Looks like I may have to start watching before December...LOL Thanks for stopping by.

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (12/07/2006 2:10 PM) : 

THE GRINCH! The original!

Yup.. I love it..

Chicklet and I watched Polar express...Dix.. it is a wonderful movie.. bit scary for the little ones.. but the story is sweet.

Ralphie..love that boy.. want to squish his cheeks!

 

Blogger Twyla said ... (12/07/2006 2:48 PM) : 

#3 and 4 are my absolute FAVES! I watch them every year...at least 3 or 4 times each. :-)

 

Blogger Reel Fanatic said ... (12/07/2006 2:49 PM) : 

A Christmas Story would have to be my single favorite, but that Muppet Christmas Carol comes in a close second

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (12/07/2006 2:52 PM) : 

Twyla, they are really good, aren't they...

reel, I can't say as though I have ever watched Muppet Christmas Carol.. you see, I'm scared to death of Frogs... LOL

 

Blogger Cinnamon Girl said ... (12/07/2006 2:54 PM) : 

Great List!

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (12/07/2006 4:30 PM) : 

Oooo, I love Home Alone! That is just soooo funny, not to mention A Christmas Story! LOL And then, there's THE GRINCH!!! LOL I prefer the original too, but Jim Carrey makes such a good grinch! I only just saw The Polar Express this year, and I liked it. Heck all the movies you listed are entertaining! Hugs!

 

Blogger teachergirl said ... (12/07/2006 6:35 PM) : 

Excellent movies, everyone! Happy TT!!

 

Blogger Amanda said ... (12/07/2006 8:33 PM) : 

great list Dixie! I'm with Anndi-THE GRINCH..love love the original! And I don't miss It's A Wonderful list

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/07/2006 9:27 PM) : 

We recently watched the Grinch with Jim Carrey. It's great. Love you list!

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12/07/2006 10:25 PM) : 

I love Diana's idea....I DO need to rent some of these! Thanks for the thoughts!

Hugs honey!!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/08/2006 1:47 PM) : 

I didn't think I'd like the Polar Express...but it is an incredible movie! You'll love it!

 

post a comment