Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Monday, December 04, 2006

Christmas Specials


I will be 42 in January. I only say this so that readers will be able to gauge my review of this classic based on my age. While I was growing up, prior VCR tapes and DVD players, we would wait all year to view the various Christmas specials that aired each year. I remember sitting glued to the TV taking in every second of the shows. Back then if you missed part of the show or even the whole show you were border line depressed because you knew you couldn't see it again for a whole year.

In some ways anticipation made the viewing of Christmas specials that much better. SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN is in my top five specials, right along with RUDOLPH, FROSTY and THE YEAR WITHOUT SANTA CLAUS. I enjoy the 1970's feel this classic has. The flowers that appear when Jessica sings, the simple toys the kids play with and the songs that are sung throughout this show. I can only imagine what a modern version of this show would sound like with its boy band sounding songs and electric toys and video games. Instead of watching Kris and Jessica court each other and wed we would probably see them live together while they consider marriage. This was a scary classic. The Winter Warlock was very scary when I viewed this as a kid. No matter how many times I saw this as a kid I would always wonder if Kris would make it past the warlock.

I suppose the best thing about this type of Christmas classic is that when people my age view it they can escape back to their innocent youth for a short while. Even though I now own the VHS of SANTA CLAUSE IS COMING TO TOWN and soon hope to purchase the DVD I make myself and my kids wait until Christmas season to watch it. It's not quite the same as when I was a kid but anticipation still increases the viewing pleasure once we do watch it.

SMOOCH!
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 9:30 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/04/2006 10:49 AM) : 

I remember waiting for Rudolph (the original) and Charlie Brown to come on. There is something about seeing it on TV as opposed to DVD. I just watched Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol on DVD, because I can never seem to catch that one on TV. Do you remember that one?

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (12/04/2006 12:38 PM) : 

You capture it beautifully sugar--that anticipation and making sure you did not miss them made it so much more part of the season. I watched Charlie Brown Christmas last Monday and the only time I check TV listings is to look for these specials from my childhood. DVD is just not the same.
SMOOCH

 

Blogger Anndi said ... (12/04/2006 1:54 PM) : 

Although my Chicklet has 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' on tape (not the Jim Carrey one of course).. it's just not Christmas til it plays on regular TV..

Frosty..

Charlie Brown.. (which I also watched this past week)..

yup..

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (12/04/2006 5:35 PM) : 

Nicely done Dixie.. you really put it into words..though I must admit, I have missed the last few years.. I feel so so so old.. arggggggggggggggggggggggggg

 

Blogger Maryfly said ... (12/04/2006 8:15 PM) : 

Santa Claus is Coming to Town is my fav too!! and yes, can only watch it in December. Also love Frosty the Snowman.... hugs hoochie!!

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (12/04/2006 9:00 PM) : 

Yes Busy, I do remember Mr. Magoo's Christmas... I had completely forgot about it... Thanks

Turn, I missed Charlie Brown's Christmas last week... I try NOT to miss that one either...

Anndi - Oh I love Frosty... *starts to hum* Frosty the Snowman...

Bond, your only as old as you feel... I sometimes miss them too... Thank you.

Mary, I'm there with ya.... rubs hoochie!!

It appears that we ALL watched the classics as kids. You never get too old for these. My mother at the young age of 69 still watches them.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (12/04/2006 9:23 PM) : 

Yup yup yup! It wasn't Christmas until I heard Burl Ives!!

Those were most decidedly the days.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (12/05/2006 9:39 AM) : 

Silver and gold silver and gold everyone wishes for silver and gold

 

post a comment