Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Monday, August 20, 2007

So here's the Deal... I suffered from a major brain cramp today. I had absolutely forgot that I had already done this... so for this Monday y'all are getting a TWO FOR ONE DEAL!!!


Thanks to Mo for this weeks Manic Monday - DEAL... I really had a lot of fun with this one.


Let’s Make a Deal was a television game show based around deals offered to members of the audience by the host Monty Hall. The contestants usually had to weigh the possibility of an offer for a valuable prize or an undesirable prize which was referred to as a “zonk”.

When the series began, studio audience member wore suits and ties or dresses. Over time the show gradually evolved into the audience wearing costumes.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!
Do you want what’s in the Box or what’s behind the Curtain?
Borrowed from letsmakeadeal.com




One of the most popular television game shows of the 1960’s and 70’s, Let's Make A Deal is the show where contestants buy, sell, or trade anything and everything from Aardvarks to Zithers. Lawyers, doctors, plumbers, and even Beverly Hills housewives dressed as kumquats and turnips hoping to trade a hard boiled egg for a Cadillac. What would be behind the Curtain?… A Car or a Zonk (a worthless, ridiculous prize)?

Just before taping, thirty-five or so contestants were selected for each show from the studio audience to become the day’s possible Traders. Of those people seated on the Trading Floor, about eight people were chosen by Monty Hall to participate in three or four deals plus the Big Deal which involved major cash and/or merchandise.


To start the dealing, would-be Traders brought unusual odds and ends from home which they may have retrieved from their attic or garage or even made themselves. Wearing costumes was the audience’s idea. To attract Monty’s attention, the contestants got creative to out-do each other. Someone brought a sign, someone wore a crazy hat, then one day someone dressed as the Jolly Green Giant and the show was never the same again.

Sometimes when a Trader had decided to “take the Curtain,” Monty offered to buy it back again… $1,000… $2,000… $3,000 not to take the Curtain! Traders never knew how high he would go. Prizes were disguised so that Traders were never sure whether a garbage can, for instance, contained a mink coat or just garbage, or which of three envelopes contained $1,000. The decision-making was exciting and suspenseful. Would it be a Car or a Camel? A First-Class Trip to Hawaii or a Live Cow dressed in sunglasses and feather boa? Would Carol Merrill point out the features of a new Refrigerator or would Jay Stewart be dressed as an old granny in a Giant Rocking Chair?

Part of the time, contestants played various games relating to the price of small items, pricing items of greater and greater value or matching the prices to the items, for example. Contestants began playing those games on Let's Make A Deal in the 1960’s.

Near the end of the show, Monty asked those who had already played if they wanted to keep what they had, or trade it for a chance at the Big Deal of the Day. The first two Traders who decided to risk their cash and/or merchandise for a chance at a grand prize got to choose between Door #1, Door #2, or Door #3. There were no Zonks in the Big Deal, but it was possible to trade down.

After the Big Deal until time ran out, Monty continued to make Quick Deals. One of the most famous... “I’ll give you $50 for a Hard Boiled Egg.”

Whether their dreams came true or they got Zonked, the Traders had a good time… And so did the viewers.


Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 10:12 PM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (8/20/2007 12:34 AM) : 

You know I just luuuurve me some game shows!

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (8/20/2007 7:53 AM) : 

good dixie.......

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (8/20/2007 9:29 AM) : 

I must admit. I actually liked that show. Cheers Dixie.

 

Blogger Mo and The Purries said ... (8/20/2007 12:05 PM) : 

I thought Monty Hall was the cheesiest - and loved that about him.
Hope he laughed all the way to the bank!
Did someone have a hard boiled egg on them for the $50?

I didn't know that when the game started, it was no costumes. I think that is one of the main things we remember about it now. That and, I'll take what's behind Door #2!!!

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (8/20/2007 12:18 PM) : 

Kyra, I love game shows too.. I'm addicted to GSN...

Sarge, thanks!

Matt, I liked that show too...

Mo, I don't know if someone had a hard boiled egg or not. I bet Monty did laugh all the way to the bank.. I know I would have!

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (8/20/2007 12:39 PM) : 

SUGARBABY; Brilliant post.. I loved this show so much... any show where people went out of their way to make themselves look like fools for a chance...well that is all me... just like the gong show...WOOOOOOO

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (8/20/2007 12:41 PM) : 

Bond, I loved the Gong Show too...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/20/2007 1:42 PM) : 

I really liked that show. I loved to see what costumes people were wearing.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (8/20/2007 1:43 PM) : 

All those names brought back so many memories. I recall the show when it was costumes and my sis and I would giggle at how silly everyone looked.

I can remember yelling "told ya!" when people got zonked.

Great post darlin!

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (8/20/2007 2:10 PM) : 

What a great post. I do remember the show very well too. Have a great MM. :)

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (8/20/2007 2:15 PM) : 

teg, I loved the costumes too.. some were hilairous...

Trav, they all did look silly in those costumes, didn't they.

Sandee, thanks.. Happy MM to you too.

 

Blogger Crazy Working Mom said ... (8/20/2007 2:46 PM) : 

Great MM post, Dixie. :)

What fun!!

 

Blogger Mitchypoo said ... (8/20/2007 3:20 PM) : 

My Mother won a car on Let's Make a Deal! And she got to kiss Monty Hall. She wore a farmer's outfit. Oh, I'd love to get a copy of it.

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (8/20/2007 3:33 PM) : 

hope all is well there dixie! what's for supper? ha ha

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (8/20/2007 3:38 PM) : 

mitchypoo, Really??? Your mom got to kiss Monty Hall?? I'd bet you'd love to get a copy.. I couldn't blame you. Thanks for stopping by.

Mrs. Bee, things are better. Supper... looks like hot dogs and popcorn from the football game. Kaitlin cheers tonight.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (8/20/2007 5:11 PM) : 

This brings back so many childhood memories of watching this show and wondering what sort of crazy things people had brought with them.

 

Blogger Lisa Ryan said ... (8/20/2007 7:33 PM) : 

Oh how I loved that show! Happy Monday.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (8/20/2007 8:44 PM) : 

cool beans Sugarbaby!!!

 

Blogger Mitchypoo said ... (8/21/2007 11:23 AM) : 

Dixie....swear! My Aunt always brought peole with her to these shows in hopes of getting on them, but my Mom was chosen.

 

post a comment