Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Monday, June 25, 2007

Life in MY Small Town USA

To some, small town life could consist of a town of maybe around 3,000 or 4,000 people. But my small town is much, much smaller than that. As of today, the population of Milledgeville, TN is 306. Yes, you read it right..... 306. Growing up, I don't ever remember the population being over 400.....Everybody knows everybody.... and they know more about your business than you know about your own. You may call if Mayberry RFD ... but I believe our town is much smaller, or you may call us a village... what ever you call it... I call it GOD'S COUNTRY! A place where you can go out your back door, look up at the sky and see the stars......

Growing up in my town... there was a grocery store, which belonged to my family, a cotton gin and worm ranch, which belonged to my family, a road side cafe, which belonged to my best friend of 25 years family, a hardware store, 4 churches.... The Methodist, The Baptist, The Church ofChrist and The Pentescostal. We have a post office, a branch bank, and a 4 way stop with a flashing light... this only became in existence about 15 years ago... before was just a major crossroad. The house that I grew up in sat on the same lot as the cotton gin and the worm ranch was in the back yard. My Grandparents had lived in that house until I was about 2 years old, then they built a new one just right across town, we moved into the old house until I was about 12, when my parents built their house across the field from my Grandparents. After many renters and different things happening, I moved back into this house about 3 years ago. Yes, it's an old house, a house with character... my house... MY HOUSE that has been in MY family for decades! A house that my children will inherit and the rich blessings from it.

Imagine a crisp fall morning....the smell of cotton being ginned. I can remember my Grandfather working from the crack of dawn to way past midnight. I can remember waking up, my Grandmother having a breakfast cooked... on the table would be fresh bacon, eggs, biscuits, gravy, orange juice and milk. I can remember my Daddy going to open the store, wait for the employees to come in and off to his factory job he would go. He was a Supervisor in a Shoe Factory for 2o year, and my Mom helping my Papaw during the fall season at the scale house.

Oh the scale house.... the scale house was a place where the farmers would bring their full cotton wagons to be weighed before pulling them to the gin. I can remember the lot being sooooo full of cotton wagons, that they would be backed up 3, 4, 5 or 6 deep. I can remember going outside to play with my younger brother and the neighbors kids, us climbing up and over the full cotton wagons and playing on the freshly picked cotton. I can remember my Grandmother screaming at us to get out of the wagons before we were sucked up with the cotton to be ginned. We would climb out... find another wagon and proceed to play.... We would also climb into the empty wagons and play. We would play for what seemed like forever, only to take the time out, because Mamaw said so... to eat.... It's not because we wanted to eat... but she made us!

I can remember that because of the dangers that my Grandfather would NOT let us kids in the gin. He would, however, let me on the back dock so as to when the cotton bail came out of being pressed, he would take this HUGE knife and cut a sample, tag it, hand it to me to take to my Mother at the scale house. What she did with it, I do not know... but I didn't care... I was the"Sample Girl"...

Picture this... an old blue 1950 or 1960 something farm truck, I don't remember if it was a Chevy or Ford or what...... Papaw had parked it under the scale house facing West. To this day, I don't remember why it was there... but it was... just calling my name.... I had taken a sample of cotton to Mother for her to do whatever she did and "Old Blue" started calling my name... Lee Ann.... Lee Ann... Lee Ann.... so what did I do.... Yep, went over and got behind the wheel of "Old Blue".... I don't remember how I got it started, but I did... put the thing in gear and head West straight for the HUGE... and when I say HUGE... I mean HUGE Cherry Tree in the yard. I was laughing like I had just done something FUN... or so I thought... I remember Papaw running after me and the truck... yes me and Old Blue hit the Cherry Tree... not really hard... but enough that is really scared Papaw. He was so glad that I wasn't hurt...and Mother was too.... my butt, or maybe pride, that day was hurt much worse than the Cherry Tree. The tree still stands today and so do I. Oh the days of living in my small town....

Those were the days when you could go on a family vacation, leave the doors open and the windows up.... the only fear of leaving the windows up would be that it would rain and your house get wet. Those days are SO LONG GONE!

Today, we have to deal with unnecessary and senseless things... schools shootings, child abductions, drug abuse, parents who leave there babies in garbage cans..... I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Tomorrow... maybe more description of life in Small Town USA.....

SMOOCHES!

Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 9:28 AM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (6/25/2007 9:44 AM) : 

Sounds nice Dixie, but I like a few more people around. Our town is about 60,000. But your world sounds most relaxing. Cheers Dixie.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (6/25/2007 10:12 AM) : 

GREAT POST Ms. Dixie...great post.... so it was really the blue ford and the cherry tree not the black horse and the cherry tree... hehehehheh

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (6/25/2007 10:17 AM) : 

this is a great post, takes me back to my youth, we were rural route folks, nearest town was 18 miles, we used a general store for most stuff, you could trade fresh eggs for flour or corn mill. Our cotton gen was about 12 miles away.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/25/2007 11:11 AM) : 

Matt, my world is very relaxing.. the true simple life.

Vinny, I never thought of it like that.. yup... blue ford and the cherry tree... *giggles*

Sarge, sounds like my little piece of the world.

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (6/25/2007 12:15 PM) : 

Now this is an awesome post. I too grew up out in the country. The land we owned sat right on Highway 1 in a little place called Hemlock, Oregon. Everywhere you turned was ours with no other house to be seen. It was wonderful. Thanks for bringing back some memories. DO MORE! :)

 

Blogger Tug said ... (6/25/2007 12:25 PM) : 

What a wonderful story!! I grew up in a town of about 1000 or so...life was so much easier back then.

 

Blogger Special K ~Toni said ... (6/25/2007 12:46 PM) : 

It took me many. many years to realize I wanted to live in a small town- mine is about 100,000- but that is small to me! But I know my neighbors are there for me if an emergency arises. But that could be because I live on base (?)

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/25/2007 1:40 PM) : 

Sandee, I will do more. I just have to remember them all... age you know... ;-)

Yes Tug life was much easier then.

Toni, I have lived in large cities and small cities but always came back home to small country life. Could be because you life on base.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (6/25/2007 2:15 PM) : 

You descibe it well and make it sound charming. I'm a city boy and I don't know that I could live in a place so small.

I need "stuff" around me. Concrete and bright lights have their own charm for me.

Smooch!

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (6/25/2007 2:54 PM) : 

thanks dixie, i really enjoyed this!

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/25/2007 3:03 PM) : 

Trav, we have "stuff" around us too. We have street lights ;-)

You're welcome Mrs. Bee.

 

Blogger Gail said ... (6/25/2007 7:52 PM) : 

While I never grew up in the actual city - yea - little Miss Suburbanite, that's me...I know what a small town is like. We used to go camping in this rural area about 3 hours outside of Chicago. It was a total farm community and we would go shopping in town. They had a small family owned grocery store that was a quarter of the size of the superstores we have now. It was quiet and peaceful there I loved going to the store to see the different things they had that we didn't back home.

Having grown up in city surroundings, I don't know if I could handle being in a small town now...

This was a great post!

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (6/25/2007 8:26 PM) : 

I luv stories like this! I wish every kid had the chance to live the country life. I'm sure it makes you a better person! Hugs.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (6/25/2007 8:34 PM) : 

My hometown used to be like this but now it has become quite populated as a "bedroom community" for a lot of people who commute to Hartford.

My grandparents would probably be amazed, and somewhat appalled, at what their hometown has turned into now. I'm sure they would have preferred to keep it a small town (and I think I would agree with them).

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/25/2007 9:12 PM) : 

Gail, it's all in what you are use to. I've tried living in cities and I've always come back to the small town.

Meri, I wish every kid could too. They should experience it at least once.

Linda, I would have to agree too. One good thing about our small town is it hasn't grown... stayed small.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/26/2007 4:46 PM) : 

wavin' atcha from Middle TN.

HOWDY!

 

Blogger Cheryl said ... (6/30/2007 10:51 AM) : 

Hi, I too am a small town gal. Pop. 450. I grew up in this little central Illinois town and married a home town boy and we've raised our kids here. I know no other life and it suits me fine.

 

post a comment