Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Tuesday, June 26, 2007

27 Days until Matt leaves for Parris Island...

It was the summer of 1993.

Matt was 4 years old.

His favorite show was Power Rangers. It was a karate kick here and a karate kick there. He had every imaginable Power Ranger toy on the market in 1993. His favorite was the Black Power Ranger. He was the one who a practical joker, he used dance moves and martial arts to fight. Just right down Matt's alley.

My mother was my babysitter when Matt was small as well as my grandfather. My parents owned a local Mom & Pop grocery/gas station in our small town. Every day when I went to work I would drop Matt off at mother's. Mother, Matt and Papaw would eat breakfast and then they were off to the store.

There was a chair that mother had at the front of the store for Papaw to sit in. We knew everyone who came in the store. It was the local hangout for the retired farmers. No, there wasn't any domino playing just a lot of conversations.

Matt was in his Power Ranger mode. One day after lunch, Papaw decided he wanted a banana. He was sitting there in his chair, had the banana half peeled and had taken one bite. For some strange reason he kinda nodded off to sleep. Matt saw the opportunity and took it!

He took off running, sword in hand screaming "GO, GO POWER RANGERS" ... just as he said "rangers" he took that plastic sword, swung and cut off the rest of Papaw's banana all the time running and yelling "GO, GO POWER RANGERS. Needless to say it startled Papaw. He hadn't a clue as to what happened to his banana until he saw it laying in the floor... then he knew.

No, Matt didn't get in too much trouble. He just had to pick the banana off the floor, throw is away and promise to never do it again.

Yes, Matt was and still is spoiled. He is the only grandson. My mother, daddy and grandfather thought he was the grandest thing since sliced bread. Anything that child wanted he got.

This past Saturday we were driving down the road and I looked over at him. We were talking about just life in general when he said

"Mom, I'm not a little boy anymore."

"No son you're not."

"I remember watching Peter Pan and wondering what they meant by never growing up and I thought they were crazy. I didn't want to be a kid forever. I wanted to get big, drive a car, have dates, get out of school, move out. But mom, now I wish I was a kid again. I now know what they meant in Neverland."

It was all I could do to keep from bursting into tears.

I have good days and I have bad days. Last week I didn't cry when I talked about it. Can't promise what this week will be like.
I know what he is doing is the best thing ever. I KNOW THIS and I am so very, very proud of my son... but what is bothering me is my son is not that little boy any more and I'm going to have to cut the strings.

Oh gee whiz now I've gone and done it. I've made my own self cry.


SMOOCHES!
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 6:26 PM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Maggie Moo said ... (6/25/2007 9:31 PM) : 

I don't have any advice or anything because I'm not a mom and I don't know anyone in the military personally-but I do know about letting go and letting people grow, and I know how hard that is...

We're here for you-keep writing, and savor every last minute you do have with him until he goes...

Hugs,

Mags

 

Blogger Gail said ... (6/25/2007 10:36 PM) : 

Seems we're both a little nostalgic tonight...

HUGS darlin...

Love you.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (6/26/2007 4:48 AM) : 

You are giving the world a great gift Sugarbaby--you've raised a child who will become an adult. That's a rare thing these days.

{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}

I love you

SMOOCH

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (6/26/2007 6:59 AM) : 

Yup, I just cried too, Dixie. That's the sweetest thing I think I've heard in a long time...you have a hell of a young man. Like Mags, I don't have any kids either, but I'm here to listen and help you thru the rough times. He'll be FINE, I'm sure of it!!!

SMOOCH!!

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (6/26/2007 9:21 AM) : 

hi mom, your son is becoming a man, god speed, and thank you for sharing him with us.....

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (6/26/2007 9:24 AM) : 

Every new word my son uses, every new funny phrase or sarcastic remark he makes, I laugh my ass of and also get a little tery-eyed becuase I realize he is growing up. Dont be sad, Dixie, be damn proud that you raised a good kid. Cheers!!

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/26/2007 9:30 AM) : 

Mags, thank you so much. I know that my friends will help me through this.

Gail, after reading your blog, yes we are. Must be in the air. SMOOCHES.

Turn, Yes he has become the man that I had intended but it hasn't been easy. ;-) I loves you too.

Pia, I know he will be fine. It's just hard letting go. Thank you. *rub a dub dub* ;-)

Sarge, you are so welcome. There will be more to come. I'm going to need help getting through this. Thank you.

Matt, I am so very proud that I've raised a GOOD young man. It's not easy you know.

 

Blogger Special K ~Toni said ... (6/26/2007 9:31 AM) : 

I feel for you~ I don't know if I could handle one of my boys going off to basic in todays military world.

Be strong~ he may not be a little boy~ but he will always be your baby!

Think of you!

 

Blogger Tug said ... (6/26/2007 10:11 AM) : 

big big ((hugs)) for you!!

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/26/2007 10:39 AM) : 

Toni, it's truly not easy but I am trying to be strong. Thank you.

Tug, I sure needed that big hug. Thanks.

 

Blogger Angell said ... (6/26/2007 12:29 PM) : 

SNIFF - great, I'm bawling again.

Thanks Dix....sounds like you've raised one hell of a kid.

But we've all been saying that. :D No surprise there.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/26/2007 12:41 PM) : 

Angell, sorry didn't mean to make you cry. Yes, he is a great kid.

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (6/26/2007 1:34 PM) : 

You have done something very, very right to raise such a great kid. Mine are still so young.... Iwonder what it will be like when they are older and it is time for me to watch them leave the nest. Hopefully, you're still around to walk me through it.

You're a great mama... cry whenever you need to, but don't forget to also laugh and smile a lot, too.

Although I don't agree with this war and although it scares the crap out of me, I'm here for you. I know what you're going through... Hugs to Matt.

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (6/26/2007 1:45 PM) : 

I know how you feel Dixie...no, my Matt is not going to join the military, but I see a man now where there used to be a little boy...man it is tough

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (6/26/2007 2:36 PM) : 

You have every right to be very, very proud. The limb never falls too far from the tree you know. I so enjoy your real-life stories. Matt has been a very interesting part of that too. Thank you for sharing a very special part of your life with us. I really enjoyed this. Have a great day. :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6/26/2007 4:49 PM) : 

They grow up fast, don't they? HUGS!

 

Blogger Sandee said ... (6/26/2007 6:19 PM) : 

Yep that was me that called in. Neila and I were on at the same time. I didn't say too much, but wanted to let Mo know I supported and loved him. I heard you and Empress Bee, Bond, Callie Ann, Desert Songbird, Neila and Marilyn. :)

 

Blogger Meribah said ... (6/26/2007 7:19 PM) : 

I don't have kids, but I can imagine what it must be like! Growing up and letting go are a part of life. It may be difficult, but, just remember that Matt will always be a part of you. Hugs.

 

Blogger Linda said ... (6/26/2007 7:33 PM) : 

My son is now 26 years old and has a 2 year old son of his own. He has grown to be a fine young man who inherited my sarcastic side! I cannot for the life of me figure out how he got to be so old so fast when it seems like it was not all that long ago I was holding in my arms while rocking him after he had come home for the hospital and crying because I knew that it was going to be over way too soon.

Sounds like you have done an excellent job raising an excellent young man and you should be proud not only of him but of yourself.

And if you think you're crying now, you wait until he graduates boot camp!

 

Blogger Write Before Sleep said ... (6/26/2007 8:12 PM) : 

Oh, my, my, Dixie:

Because I know EXACTLY what you are facing, I'll be right here with a cyber-hanky because I KNOW you are going to need one -- probably dozens.

I can't lie and sugarcoat sending your child off into the unknown. But I can reinforce the pride in your son and in yourself for having raised him to be the man he is today.

Cherish every second between now and Parris Island because he will never be the same again. He will be better!

Jo Ann

 

Blogger Julie said ... (6/26/2007 9:22 PM) : 

Aww honey.....and if you didn't do it right you probably wouldn't be aching right now. And that's the sucky part.

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (6/26/2007 9:50 PM) : 

Lois, yes they grow up entirely too fast.

Meri, yes I know... we have to cut the strings sometimes. I just wish mine was later than now.

Linda, I've done the very best I could raising him as a single mom and for that I am proud. I'll be so glad when that day comes. I can hardly wait for him to graduate boot camp. I have dreams of it.

Jo Ann, Yes he will be a very changed man and for the better. Thanks for the hankys... you know I'm going to need them.

Julie, you are right. I'm thankful God gave me the patience to raise a brave young man.

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (6/26/2007 9:50 PM) : 

Awww darlin. Big hugs!

 

Blogger Amazing Gracie said ... (6/27/2007 10:58 PM) : 

I have so much respect for you and Matt! Life seems like a carousel sometimes, going so quickly. My "baby" is 37 and I still can't believe it. My oldest grandson hopes to enlist in the Marines as soon as his braces come off. That sounds funny even as I write it! He's hoping that will be before summer's over...I am fearful for him but I am also incredibly proud!
You have a huge circle of friends here who care about the both of you and will help you get through it...
~~~Blessings~~~

 

post a comment