Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Thursday, March 22, 2007



SOMETHING I MUST SAY ...

Something that I have on my mind and it seems to be more frequent... I want to apologize if this seems to get boring to you but July 23 is approaching rather quickly. I will be doing more post like these as time gets closer. Once he has gone, I am going to post my feelings... so please bear with me.

In 4 short months, my son will leave home and to become a lean mean fighting machine. He will become one of the few and the proud. After 8 weeks of having someone break you down only to build you right back up, he will be proud to be called a United States Marine. He has made this selfless decision and for that I am so very proud.

In November a dear friend of ours, a Marine currently stationed in Hawaii was home on leave, came over and talked to Matt regarding the Marines. I had asked him to and not to sugar coat anything.... and believe me, he didn’t sugar coat it at all. He told him the worst of everything and even after hearing what Gene had to say, he still made the selfless decision to join.

I am humbled by those willing, able, and ready to serve their country. If I were able I would do all in my power to protect them as they protect me. All I can offer to any service man or woman are my truly heartfelt thank you, my thoughts, and my prayers.

I believe we should simply respect the choices each of us make with our lives, and if by chance you are that type of man or woman that wants to dedicate a period of time for the benefit of others and improvement of our world, then better still. I look at entering the Marines as a brave and exciting choice, a selfless choice. As long as Matt stays the course of honor and courage, he will never have to hang his head about the decision he made.

Matt has gotten a lot of advice regarding the Marines but I have given him some motherly advice, for what it’s worth … I said to him “Son, when you get older and are out of the Marines, the last thing you will want is to look back at boot camp and know you didn't give 100% of yourself, so make sure that everyday you give everything you have and you will have no regrets"... Make sure you give everything you have. When you are in the pit and you feel like saying screw all this, just dig deeper and push harder. Don't ever quit... ever and you will be able to look back and know you did your very best.

Here are a few tips that Gene gave to Matt before he left that night.

1. Don't touch your face... ever...don't scratch, don't pick, don't rub...

2. Learn how to say "Aye Aye, Sir" really fast... he recommend saying "icer" it is what he was saying by the end of boot camp

3. Ask for people to write you before you go. Letters will be your savior in a couple of weeks. Make sure nobody sends you candy or anything... this is not a good thing.

4. Salute with your right hand, not your left, not both...

5. Never let another Drill Instructor tell you what to do when your Drill Instructor is standing right there. ONLY LISTEN TO YOUR DI WHEN HE IS PRESENT... you may get yelled at at first, but you will get his respect at the same time.

6. The Drill Instructors are playing games with you all the time. They don't hate you and they don't want you to fail. They do want you to think that, but they really do want you to succeed.

7. If they throw the guidon on the ground... dive to try and save it if you have to. They will do this to see who gets what it stands for... it stands for your platoon and it stands for everyone of the recruits in that platoon, so treat it like the American flag... don't ever let anyone outside of your platoon touch it... be mean if you have to while protecting it.

8. Keep a journal of your experiences.

9. Be proud that you made a tough decision in your life. You picked the best and the hardest and that is something to be proud of. You will never regret your decision.

10. Forget the word "can't"... it won't be in your vocabulary in a couple of months.

11. Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful

12. Even if you don't go to church in the civilian world, go on Sunday morning. This will at least give you a small time to yourself. The DI's won't bother you in there.... so go.

13. Don't wear Marine Corps shirts around Marine Corps bases... everyone knows you are a Marine. However, Do wear the shirts at home... chicks dig Marines.


Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 7:32 PM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (3/21/2007 8:07 PM) : 

I want to do a cyber boot camp, you let us know what is up for the day, I thought the response was Sir,yes Sir.

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (3/21/2007 8:07 PM) : 

I did see the tribute, tears

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (3/21/2007 8:12 PM) : 

I thought it was Sir, yes Sir too, but evidentially they say Aye, Aye Sir so fast that it sounds like "icer"...

I'm sure they still have to say Sir, yes Sir too... will have to wait to hear it straight from the horses mouth..

I like the idea of cyber boot camp..let's get together via e-mail and decide when...

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (3/21/2007 8:54 PM) : 

One of my buddies called it the boot bark - a Marine Boot learns how to bark out Aye Aye Sir so fast, just like Gene said. And he learns to do it from his gut, at the top of his voice, deep and strong, without moving a muscle.

Semper Fi Matt.

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (3/21/2007 9:09 PM) : 

i love the last one! ha... is this a thursday thirteen?

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Piacere said ... (3/22/2007 6:39 AM) : 

That's one smart Marine, Dixie. And you can count on me to send your precious boy some mail from VA!!! Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders, and I know you're VERY proud of him.

Hugs!
Pia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/22/2007 9:22 AM) : 

Thank you for your sons' service.

Selena

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (3/22/2007 9:48 AM) : 

ICER

I like that one...

ICER

 

Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said ... (3/22/2007 9:48 AM) : 

ICER

I like that one...

ICER

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (3/22/2007 11:02 AM) : 

Dixie and Charlie, you forget, the Marines are part of the Na--, what happened? it won't let me type out Na--? Maybe I need to get this keyboard fixed, great post Dixie.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3/22/2007 11:08 AM) : 

I am so proud of my nephew. *sniff* what a brave boy!

 

Blogger Angell said ... (3/22/2007 11:22 AM) : 

Dix, be proud of him - oh wait, you are. :D I don't know your wonderful son, and yes, I am not a US citizen, but I respect and am proud of all who serve their country.

He'll be fine. Let us know if you want us to write him some letters too. :D (And if he has any cute Marines in his platoon that want foreign pen pals....LOL)

 

Blogger Penny said ... (3/22/2007 12:52 PM) : 

Thank you for you for your son's service to our country!

This chick digs Marines!! ;)

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (3/22/2007 3:32 PM) : 

Thought I'd drop in!

Good luck to your son! My husband is in the Army and has been for the past 7 years. We've done Iraq and Kuwait and all the fun overseas deployments and experienced the crazy ups and wons of military life. It starts out with a bang... Dean-o had his 8 weeks of basic training and then another year of ait. After that, it gets a bit easier to deal with them being gone so much.

I wish your son and your family all the luck in the world and will be sending many positive thoughts your way in hopes of a safe and fullfilling experience. And if you ever want to vent or talk when the times are rough, I'm here and know what you're going through!

 

Blogger Linda said ... (3/22/2007 4:30 PM) : 

When I was in boot camp for the Air Force, mail from friends and family was really what kept me going so make sure that anyone and everyone writes to your son while he's there! It makes all the difference in the world!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3/24/2007 11:02 AM) : 

Dixie,
Came across your blog. I served seven years in the Marine Corps on active duty 1980-87 and a few stints in the USMCR. Now I'm a State Trooper. I consider my Marine Corps experience to be some of the best years of my life. Your son is joining a great organization. Be proud of him and pat yourself on the back for raising a PATRIOT who is willing to serve and give something back for the great freedom's that SO MANY TAKE FOR GRANTED and are unwilling to defend. Good Luck to you and God Speed to him. I'll be sure to check back for an address so I can write your Devil Dog to be. Semper Fi Patrick Hogan Troy, NY

 

Blogger Julie said ... (4/04/2007 11:31 AM) : 

Hi Dixie.....you know what dear? You can just go on and on about Matt... this is YOUR space.

Gene must have alot of great things to share with Matt and it appears that Matt is one young man that wants to suck it all in...be proud of him!

*hugs*

 

post a comment