Dixie's - Heart and Soul

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Thursday, March 15, 2007

Everyone who reads my blog knows that my son will be leaving July 23, 2007 for the United States Marine Corp... he has made a very brave decision... one that I am so very proud of... so when I received this e-mail in my inbox today I couldn't help but cry...


Then at lunch yesterday, as we sat down to eat, I looked over to my right and there sat 4 U.S. Army men... behind Tony sat a man eating lunch alone. As the man finished his lunch and got up to leave, he politely walked over to the serviceman and I heard him say "Excuse me, but I just want to say thank you so very much for your service." The look on the 4 servicemen's face was that of pride... one that I hope to see on Matt's face one day when a complete stranger walks up to him and says "Thank You for your service"....



The e-mail says to pass this on, but I wanted to do so much better... I wanted to share with all my blog friends...

Will You Give This To My Daddy?

As a Company, Southwest Airlines is going to support "Red Fridays." Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed one of the greatest act's of patriotism I have ever seen.


Moving through the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camo's, as they began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering. When I saw the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for it hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded American who still loves this country and supports our troops and their families. Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us sowe can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.


Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service men and women a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said "hi," the little girl then she asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her. The young soldier, he didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he would try and asked her what did she want to give to her daddy? Then suddenly the little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.


The mother of the little girl, who said her daughter's name was Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her daughter, Courtney, missed her father, the young soldier began to tearup. When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation, all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the other servicemen pulled out a military looking walkie-talkie.


They started playing with the device and talking back and orth on it. After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and he told me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying "your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and he is coming home very soon.


"The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young soldier stood to his feet he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event unfolded. As the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumedtheir applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, there were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last act of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a tear rolling down his cheek.


We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's good to be an American.

RED FRIDAYS ----- Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority". We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers.We are not organized, boisterous or over-bearing. We get no liberal media coverage on TV, to reflect our message or our opinions. Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops.Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday - and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that...

Every red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar will wear something red. By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a homecoming football game in the bleachers.If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, co-workers, friends, and family. It will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know theonce "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.
The first thing a soldier says when asked "What can we do to make things better for you?" is...We need your support and your prayers. Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example; and wear something red every Friday.
IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ONIF YOU COULD CARE LESS THE N HIT THE DELETE BUTTON --- IT IS YOURCHOICE.WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE, ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE.THEIR BLOOD RUNS RED---- SO WEAR RED!MAY GOD HELP AMERICA TO BECOME ONE NATION, UNDER GOD
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 8:21 PM


Comments on ""

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (3/14/2007 9:02 PM) : 

Thanks for sharing the story about the soldiers. They are remarkable young men and women.

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (3/15/2007 9:19 AM) : 

wow dixie, that sure made me cry honey. what a wonderful post, one of the best i have ever seen....

thanks, bee

 

Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said ... (3/15/2007 9:23 AM) : 

and dixie? charlie always goes and says thank you for your service. (and he usually picks up the tab too but that's just him!) you know he was out of the service for many years before the first person ever thanked him, i will never forget it. we were on vacation traveling across the country and had stopped for lunch in some place in arkansas that i would normally be afraid to go in but it was all there was and sarge was not going to miss a meal! anyway he had on his ballcap that said retired army and this old guy saluted him. never said a word, we will never forget that moment....

smiles, bee

 

Blogger Dean aka Sgt Dub said ... (3/15/2007 10:37 AM) : 

Dixie, you made me cry too. I've been through the Atlanta Airport as a wervice member and it is touching to get that kind of response. Bangor Maine actually meets every flight of military service members coming in or going out regardless to time of day or night, it is just awe inspiring. Thank you for posting this story.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (3/15/2007 10:52 AM) : 

I didn't know about red friday. When will this start? Send me an email about it please. :)

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (3/15/2007 11:18 AM) : 

Trav, you are very welcome for the story. They truly are remarkable young men and women.

Bee, It's very difficult not to cry when you read this story. Was a truly act of selflessness for that brave young soldier.

Your story about when you and Sarge were in Arkansas... in my humble opinion, that salute was more powerful than any words that could ever be spoken...

Busy, I'm not for sure when Red Friday will start, but I will be wearing red tomorrow. I'm assuming as soon as possible.

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (3/15/2007 12:26 PM) : 

Thank you for sharing such a good story. It makes me proud of my fellow Americans that they can recognize the sacrifice of these fine men and women no matter what their own personal political beliefs are.

great post Sugarbaby

Smooch

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (3/15/2007 12:38 PM) : 

Thanks Hoochie Randy... I totally agree with you.

Smooches!

 

Blogger Eugene Jackson said ... (3/15/2007 3:57 PM) : 

Thank you ... and what a great story. I hope life is treating you well.

Gene

 

Blogger Lee Ann aka Dixie said ... (3/15/2007 4:02 PM) : 

Yes Gene, like is grand... and you are welcome. Thank you for your service.

Semper Fi

 

Blogger Linda said ... (3/16/2007 11:45 AM) : 

Thanks for sharing this, I had read it in an email also, but it definitely needs to be told to more people. And even though I had read it before, it still managed to get me teared up again today.

I will definitely wear red on Fridays when I'm not in uniform - it's the least I can do for the brave men and women who are serving our country so bravely.

I'm sure your son will make an excellent Marine and you are going to be one very proud military mama!

 

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said ... (3/17/2007 11:46 AM) : 

Excellent post, Dixie; you will be proud your son is a marine.

 

Blogger Amazing Gracie said ... (3/18/2007 1:39 AM) : 

Just today in our local paper, in the Op-Ed section, a mom write a letter to relay that her family was eating dinner in a restaurant here in town, with their son who was home on leave. A gentleman stopped by their table and thanked him for his service and mom and dad, too. When they went to pay their tab, their meal had been paid for!!! Things like this really touch my heart.
There's no way a meal can repay this young man but the sentiment will never leave his heart!
I have read this e-mail too, and it made me cry again...

 

Blogger B said ... (5/11/2007 7:16 PM) : 

Manipulation of the highest order.

Try the alternate version. Not everyone is moved by "will you give this to my daddy?"

Here's another take:
http://bostoncorbett.blogspot.com/2007/05/will-you-give-this-to-my-daddy.html

 

post a comment