Dixie's - Heart and Soul: Fair air fares

The Candles Are Lit
For Matt - Be Safe
Matt & Mom Together Always
Best viewed in 1280 x 1024 resolution using Firefox
Click to get yours!





My blog is worth $253,066.76.
How much is your blog worth?



































Locations of visitors to this page








Credits

Template By Caz
Powered by: Blogger

Modified: 2007VEM


Military Airfare Reduction
Give Our Military A Break
Click The Plane
Sign The Petition

With All My Love and Pride
My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, United States

I'm a 40 something single mother of 2 - Matt, a United States Marine, who is married to the most beautiful girl in the world, Ashley and Kaitlin 14 going on 21, need I say more... two grandchildren, Tyler and Jordyn who is the applie of Mimi's eye... I have the most wonderful man in my life right now. Tony is my true soulmate. I am so happy with my life.... it can't get any better than this!

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.


Soul Patrol Gang
Daily Reads
Recent Thoughts
Past Memories


Monday, December 03, 2007

Fair air fares

Everyone that reads my blog knows that we had to drive 31 hours round trip to pick Matt up for Thanksgiving. Now there is no way that I am complaining at all... I'd do anything to have my son home for the holidays however, there were many, many men and women who could not go home for the holidays simply because they could NOT afford it.

Let me explain. When Matt called me after one week of being at SOI to let me know he was getting to come home for Thanksgiving I immediately tried to get him a plane home. I went online and checked several airlines. They fares were too expensive, well around $800 round trip to be exact. I could not pay that nor could Matt nor was I going to ask Tony, Chris or Mother to.

I then called a travel agent here in town to see what she could do for me. I explained to her that Matt was a U. S. Marine and could she get him a flight to Nashville with a military discount. She checked here system and her words to me were ...

"I'm sorry, but I really can't do any better that what you have already found. It appears that all the military discounts have already been taken."

and my response was ....

"What do you mean all the military discounts have been taken... how can that be?"

"Well ma'am, the airlines only allow a certain number of seats with military discounts."

Needless to say I was shocked. How could this be? After all our service men and women do to defend our freedom the airlines only allow a certain number of seats for military discounts.

So this morning, I find this in my e-mail and immediately signed my name to the petition.

What am I asking you to do it please sign your name to this petition also. Let's help to make it affordable for all service men and women to be home with their families... not just at holidays but any time of the year they are able to come home.

Because of this some families do not get to see their sons, daughters, wife, husband, father, mother, aunt, uncle, brothers, sisters off before being deployed.

So please do your part and sign the petition today. I have the link at the bottom of this post. Please forward this on too to everyone on your e-mail list.

Matt is also getting to come home for Christmas. How is he getting home? My brother, who also served our country for 4 years as a soldier in the U. S. Army, bought him his plane ticket home with no military discounts.

You think I'm kinda passionate about this????

from the Blue Star Moms website

To: President Bush and U.S. Congress

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Our military is not “flying free” as most Americans believe. As a majority of the airlines do not provide discount fares for the military, the men and women actively serving our country are paying for their own flights home during leave and – in many instances – are paying higher fares than most of the public. The reason for this is that they are unable to book their tickets in advance as their leaves are not always granted 21, 14 nor 7 days in advance.

All too often, our military are not informed of their leave dates until the last minute. Then they frequently cannot afford the “walk up” fares. As a result, many family members have difficulty seeing their sons or daughters as neither can afford the airfare. In other instances, parents are paying exorbitant airfares to bring their children home before their deployment—worrying that this may very well be the last time they see them.

We recently sent a letter to the CEO’s of eleven airlines (Alaska, America West, American, Continental, Delta, Hawaiian, Northwest, Southwest, United, US Airways and Jet Blue) asking them to do two things:

1)Reinstate the airfare that was offered to active duty military personnel during the Vietnam War. It was called Military Standby. It was less expensive than “Military Reserve”, which was the other airfare offered during that time. Anyone showing an active military ID paid a greatly reduced price for his or her ticket. We want the airlines to fill--their otherwise empty seats--with the men and women who are putting their lives on the line to serve our country.

2)Provide active duty military personnel a guaranteed seat at the 21-day advance fare for all tickets booked anytime prior to the flight. If a flight needs to be changed because of a change in orders (which can be substantiated), the airlines should waive any fees or penalties and refund the total amount of the fare.

Blue Star Moms and the undersigned, are asking for a resolution from the United States Congress that airlines voluntarily provide military travelers on leave with their lowest fares, even on short notice. If a flight needs to be changed because of a change in orders (which can be substantiated), the airlines should waive any fees or penalties and refund the total amount of the fare. The airfare(s) structure should be easy for all military personnel to understand and for the airline reservations sales agents to execute. We are asking Congress to work with the airlines to make this a win-win for all concerned.

With the threats of terrorism being a real concern for all, the airlines and their customers receive the benefit of added security when military personnel are aboard their flights – and the military receives a loud message that you honor the service they provide their country.

Our Sons and Daughters joined the military for honorable reasons…to serve and protect their fellow Americans’ rights for liberty, freedom and justice. They are proud and will give their lives to protect the people they love—Americans—you and me. As they fight terrorism to protect our nation, show them the respect and appreciation they never ask for, yet deserve. Show them that you believe in them by supporting this resolution.

Blue Star Moms…Our hearts are on the line www.BlueStarMoms.org

http://www.petitiononline.com/BSMMIL/
Proudly Brought to You by Dixie 8:46 AM


Comments on "Fair air fares"

 

Blogger Desert Songbird said ... (12/03/2007 11:42 AM) : 

You betcha I'll sign! There were many, many holidays we didn't get to see our loved ones because of the air fare.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/03/2007 12:48 PM) : 

Signed, that is ridiculous.
I am glad you got to see your son, and wish more could have seen their families.

 

Blogger the Book of Keira said ... (12/03/2007 12:54 PM) : 

It's hard enough just to get leave!...LOL!

 

Blogger fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said ... (12/03/2007 1:48 PM) : 

Done...what a shame. I had no idea.

 

Blogger Schmoop said ... (12/03/2007 1:55 PM) : 

I just can't sign. As I have always said, "I support the war, but not the troops."

Okay, don't hit me Dixie, I'll sign; I'll sign!! Cheers!!

 

Blogger Sarge Charlie said ... (12/03/2007 4:31 PM) : 

I did it, I am part of 191,000 who have signed

 

Blogger Rainbow said ... (12/03/2007 6:10 PM) : 

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO! I signed it! After working for a Major Airline for many years, I totally agree, the Soliders should have a heavily discounted fare or none at all! I say none at all!

HUGS!

 

Blogger Travis Cody said ... (12/03/2007 7:41 PM) : 

Done. Thanks for sharing this.

 

Blogger Julie said ... (12/04/2007 7:53 AM) : 

Got it done Ms. Dixie Darlin! Anything for you baby cuz you're so sexy! Tee hee hee!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/04/2007 8:13 AM) : 

I don't fly anymore unless I have to...it's too expensive and not convenient.

I'll sign that for ya...

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12/04/2007 12:34 PM) : 

Great cause. Consider it signed.

 

Blogger Crazy Working Mom said ... (12/04/2007 10:40 PM) : 

Done my dear! :)

Tisha @ Crazy Working Mom

 

Blogger Liz Hill said ... (12/05/2007 4:00 PM) : 

I am 191225

AND I forwarded to folks who will sign and forward

thanks for pointing this out Sugarbaby

 

post a comment